Friday, November 11, 2011

L'Île de Ré

Wow! What a vacation! Where do I start? I guess I'll just run through the 4 days from the beginning.

Saturday, October 29

We left Nanterre at noon on Sunday with a packed car. I was able to sit in the front seat because my host father was arriving a day late by train. That way, the children were able to sit in the backseat and watch the French version of "Lord of the Rings." It was a 5-hour drive, but thanks to prayers, I didn't get car sick at all! The island is connected to the mainland by a bridge, but before the bridge was built, ferries were the only way to reach the island (this is how it was when my host father started going with his family when he was a child).

The house that we stayed in is my host father's parent's home. It's the perfect size home and perfectly French/beachy. Great house! I even had my own room and bathroom!





After guiding me through the main part of town to buy a baguette for dinner, the kids claimed their activity for the vacation... "Master Chef" Play-Doh Edition. Ya know when you're on vacation, there's always a favorite activity you keep going back to with your siblings and cousins? It could be a card game, playing charades; well, for them it was making Play-Doh cakes by the dozens and asking me to judge their competitions. It was actually really fun... I got into it.

I was very well-fed throughout the vacation. That night, I feasted on shrimp, fish, rice, goat cheese on baguette bread, tomatoes, and an apple.

We then watched "Dancing avec les Stars." I'll leave that up to your imagination...

Sunday, October 30

Sunday morning, we all biked to the marina where there is a daily market. So precious. It's amazing how much they make locally-they are especially famous for the salt they make in the marsh. My host mother, the children, and I then walked along the "marais" or the marsh for a beautiful view.

the market

the port

view of the marsh

Next activity of the day was heading to the one of the most gorgeous beaches on the island, "La Conche." It was there that I touched the eastern side of the Atlantic Ocean for the first time! After a yummy picknic lunch, we went to a friend's house for a café and a yummy almond cake with cream in the middle. Then, we voyaged to yet another smaller beach around sunset. I played with the kids there until it got too cold.




I was in charge of the kids that night, so that my host mother could spend some time with friends. After creating so many cakes in the Play-Doh land of make believe, we figured why not take a stab at the real thing? My eldest host sister and I set to work on a gateau chocolat. With no butter, we had to improvise, but we were heading on the right track. We put two cakes in the oven. My host sister decided it would be a good idea to check on the cakes after about ten minutes. The way she said "Jordaaan" told me things were not going as planned. Turns out I had made a little "betise" when I chose to look over the fact that the mold that we put half the batter in was PLASTIC. The mold was not only ruined, but had melted all over the oven at that point. Honestly, this was the most stupid mistake I've made while here thus far. I hope it remains that way. Side note: the other cake turned out fine. Though, we waited too long for the right occasion to eat it. It was tossed just before we left. All that for nothing. Oh well. It was more practice reading French recipes, haha!

We ended the night playing Connect 4 and watching "Shrek 3" on TV-so funny!

Monday, October 31

1 comment: