Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Twinkling Tower

As I read my daily Bible reading, looking out the window at the winking Eiffel, I am filled with contentment. Not only because this is the life, but because I'm getting paid for doing it. I am babysitting a sleeping one and a half year old for an American family. My view could be a painting. Underneath the tall tower, the shadows of chimneys and the varied rooftop mount against the skyline. The bright windows of apartments below show Parisian silhouettes enjoying a Saturday soir. It's a beautiful contrast of the native's lifestyle and the tourist's reason for being here.


After almost six months of experiencing a Parisian lifestyle, I happily realize that I have learned a lot. In France, we do not put our hands in our laps at the dinner table. We do not tell our parents about a bad grade unless breaking the news with an accompanied 18/20. We take a family ski trip every February during the winter vacances. We do not pay attention to the homeless beggars. We do not  eat sweets after afternoon snack; we eat a piece of fruit and/or bread and cheese for dessert after dinner. We wear perfume daily. We take recycling  very seriously. We take pride in our knowledge of the English language. We love France.

No comments:

Post a Comment